Marijuana has for some time been utilized for the treating things like headaches, however researchers have found out the reason why it helps. New research made public couple of months ago by University of Colorado showed that ingesting medical marijuana helps people who have migraines.
Study was conducted on more than 100 patients and the results were very positive:
- The number of days when there were headaches decreased from 11 to 5.
- Nearly half of the participants gave positive feedback on the effects of marijuana.
- 1/5 of the participants said it helped to keep headaches at bay.
- 1/10 of the participants said their headaches stopped all together.
- Nearly everyone reported decrease in number of headaches.
- Around 5% didn’t experience any change.
- And some people reported an increase in headaches.
The preferred method of ingestion was inhaling the smoke of cannabis, which stopped the headache right away. People who used edible products reported more side effects than those who preferred inhaling.
Past studies have been conducted to discover the reason why cannabis helps with headaches and have found a link between cannabinoid receptors and headaches. This study did not add any proof of this, but it further solidified the fact that marijuana is a helpful treatment option for migraines.
The next step is to find out exactly which strain of marijuana can help people with migraines the best, but that requires even more extensive research. If you are having problems with headaches or migraines, visit your doctor to get a recommendation on what to do next or what is the best way to deal with your problem.